Scattershields / Street Safety Equipment ( Part 2 ) ~

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Scattershields / Street Safety Equipment ( Part 2 ) ~
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:10:52 EST
I don't know if you have ever personally looked over a car which had a
clutch and/or flywheel explosion ..... but if you have, you will realize the
amazing amount of destruction that they can do to the car and all of the
occupants
therein ..... It all boils down to Common Sense, Knowing the Rules,  and
Building with an eye to overkill on the Side of Safety ......  those rules and
safety solutions that all the racing  associations mandate for their members'
cars have been arrived at by events that  happened, things that broke, and
drivers that got injured, somewhere in the long  past history of auto racing;
ie:
the school of hard knocks. Who ever  realized the severe results that could
arise from a broken U-joint, or the  driveshaft itself ? A longtime national
record holding drag racing buddy of mine  had his driveshaft go out thru the
back
window of his split window Corvette  coupe, and one of my oval trackpals from
way back lost his racing partner  on the way to the track one Saturdayevening
when his driveshaft broke and  "pole-vaulted" him off the road with disastrous
consequences .... two of  the many of thousands of accidents which resulted in
driveshaft safety loops  being a very wise requirement.  This is a perfect
example of a  streetable safety device you could be very glad you added, even
for the highway  .... If you are a new builder( I don't know ), I suggest that
you  spend time around some good shops where racing vehicles are built, and, as
 you already have, ask some of these folks on this LSR list who have a huge
collective pool of talent & knowledge on building, tuning, and racing  some
very fast and safe cars. Some of the senior folks aboard here have  been around
since Hector was a Pup .... and if you never heard that old  expression, you
must be in the younger half of our membership !  Good  Luck and
build wisely and safely .... it's YOUR body there in your car .... on  the
track OR on the
street   ~    Bruce