Re: History most SCTA racers don't know

To: FastmetalBDF@aol.com, bobbyhotrods@comcast.net, drmayf@mayfco.com,
Subject: Re: History most SCTA racers don't know
From: BWANA343@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:32:25 EST
In a message dated 1/11/2006 12:25:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
FastmetalBDF writes:

can withstand 40g acceleration without serious injury. It is nearly
impossible for a Bonneville streamliner to incur a 40g impact with the course
surface, regardless of the unplanned excursions about the salt.

First of all, it's the deceleration that's the problem
Second, let's not generalize and assume a 40g impact is the fatal  threshold.
The way I see it, short wheelbase cars are more likely to destabilize  due
mostly to less efficient steering as opposed to long wheelbase cars. But a
short car spins, while a long car tends to pencil-roll and get airborne and
impact, albeit more parallel with the surface, but with enough inertial impact
cause  serious injury, as we are tragically reminded of last year.
IMHO, the ideal driver compartment would be as round as possible, both for
strength and to better survive impact if the front and rear portions of the
car ideally would break away. I don't envision this capsule to roll off down
the
 Salt like a giant Hamster cage, but to slow more gradually, with subsequent
impacts absorbed by the caging.
I realize this has been gone over a million times but Turk told me to ask
and said you'd be kinder to my thoughts than his...
Opinions ? Comments? Flames?
Bob, still newbie,W