Re: History most SCTA racers don't know

To: drmayf@mayfco.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: History most SCTA racers don't know
From: BWANA343@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:37:31 EST
In a message dated 1/11/2006 11:58:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
drmayf@mayfco.com writes:

I don't  know if efficient is the right word to use. But a small short
wheelbase  car  requires more corrective action on the steering wheel vs
a long  car. Is that efficiency?I don't know. And while I haven't done
any math, I  suspect that the polar moment is far less in a small car, so

Bob W:
Would corrective action at high speeds with the correct really slow ratio
steering  really be a serious cause of concern , or not ?

Mayf:
"If you are strapped in such that you and the car are one, that
is  much, much better IMHO. The part that flops around, your head is the
really  bad issue though. First the unrestrained movement can cause
severe whiplash  which in itself is bad but it also lets the head build
up some velocity  before impacting secondary structure like the roll bar
or even the stiff  padding. To be safe, the head should be immobilized.
So should the hands,  and feet and legs...oh  how we gonna drive, well we
can't, so there is  risk involved. Best to make the cockpit as tight as
possible so there is  little rattle room and hope for the best... AND
"Round dissipates little energy. Ever see a wheel come off a race car at
speed? Sucker goes forever or it bounces really high. Best to have some
sort of energy dissipation devices like crush zones or fenders or.."

Bob W;
I feel that HANS devices are as important to our sport as any safety
consideration, and will eventually be mandated.
As far as "round Dissipating little energy", my point is maintaining
movement and gradual deceleration in an out of control situation, combined with
typical mild steel structure's tendency to  give a little at stress  points due
to more minimal impacts, as opposed to a more square configuration
concentrating the strain and crushing the compartment and weakening it to  the
point of
disintegration.

And I apologize if I offended or annoyed anybody by unintentionally getting
Mr Ratliff  involved in this thread. I just want to keep a good thread  going
on a specific safety aspect, and hear the opinions of people far  more
experienced in LSR.

And THANK YOU JON AMO, if you get me the name of the hacker, I will call
Carmine in the Bronx to give him\her a digital make-over....
Bob, lets talk HANS, W