Re: Engine Problems

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Problems
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 04:26:28 EST
Hi Dick

Uhhh, could you clarify "I haven't checked the clearance" referring to the
valves. I'm hoping you set them originally when building the engine!!!

With the lift you mentioned you have to have solid lifters and they need
precise adjustments unlike hydraulics which merely get tightened down 1/4 turn
past clicking.

Also double check spark plug wire locations. You may have two mixed up. A
bad valve spring will also cause popping.

Do a "running" compression test. Leave 7 plugs in with their wires  attached.
Remove eash plug one at a time and insert the compression tetser.  Start the
engine, release the pressure in the compression gauge.  Take your  finger off
the release valve and make a reading. Repeat for all the  cylinders putting
the plugs and wires back on as you go. Sometimes a problem  will only show up
doing the compression test this way.

Also, I have had bad plug wires brand new from Accell... Do a resistance
check on all wires.

Please advise of your findings.

Otto