Flow benches and air/fuel mixtures

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Flow benches and air/fuel mixtures
From: "Greg Meyers" <advo@mn.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 06:59:46 -0500
  The Salt2Salt racer will be visiting Bonneville again in August. We will
run our turbocharged flathead 6 again. Little smaller bore, and original
(but modified ) exhaust seats and two water pumps with intakes thru the
center two freeze plugs (cylinders 3 and 4 are hottest..). The subject came
up as to whether our intake manifold:

http://salt2salt.com/03_10_Update/Graphics/DiggerDaveManifold6.jpg

http://salt2salt.com/03_10_Update/Graphics/DiggerDaveManifold4.jpg

 was favoring certain cylinders. It has three runners, is a log
configuration with the entry near one end. I've seen designs like this used
many times on injected engines. We have bell- mouthed the entry to the
runners. We just used a flow bench at 7" water column, 75.3 degrees F and
found that it would flow about 285 cfm. Variation on the individual runners
was less than 0.5cfm with each runner showing 94-95cfm. My question to our
learned list is whether "dry" flow testing is good enough for valid
conclusions regarding our manifold design when we are running a 110 octane
air/fuel mixture at an ambient 85 degrees F. We are running draw-thru with
that impeller spinning along at about 114,000 rpm quite close to the plenum.
Our plenum now is about 50% the engine displacement.  We are having a very
spirited discussion amongst our group about whether the "wet" factor is
important. Do we really need the huge plenum and "reverse header-collector"
intake design that intuitively might make sense?

http://salt2salt.com/06_01_10_Update/06_01_10_Update.html

Other parameters:

 buick turbo-regal turbo (Airesearch TB0301  .082A/R) 190 cubic inch
Rochester quadrajet from Buick turbo-regal 4500 rpm

8.5:1 CR

12-15# boost

Last year we dyno'd out at 17# boost, 231hp, 289 ftlbs torque.

Used surface gap plugs.hard to read.  Valves and pistons didn't look
overheated, but we had a water leak into center cylinders..

Thanks in advance!

Greg Meyers

Salt2Salt racing team

Car 4594