Re: Flow benches and air/fuel mixtures

To: Sparky <wmtsmith@landracing.com>
Subject: Re: Flow benches and air/fuel mixtures
From: advo@mn.rr.com
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:55:02 -0500
Thanks Sparky,
The trade-offs are numerous, but must be considered on the basis of
application.
Blow-thru can be intercooled, and may be easier on the turbo blades.
There is less likelihood of pooling in the manifolds and has proven
practically to be more tractable in daily driving situations where you
may encounter cold weather.  It can be added on more easily to a
basically stock configuration, as the carb and manifolding can remain
stock.  It does however make for a rather more complicated bit of
added plumbing to compensate for the pressurized carb if one is used.
The carb must be modified, and the fuel pump/regulator becomes a big
factor in the performance.  Draw-thru is very simple in that the carb
doesn't require much special attention, and the fuel delivery is
traditional. We chose draw-thru for this car due to its simplicity,
uncomplicated demands on the carb and didn't have to worry about hard
starts in Minnesota winters.
My TurboStude (street rod), with the same engine, is a blow-thru:
http://www.salt2salt.com/TurboStude/TurboStude.html

Greg