RE: Pistons

To: <Flowbench@aol.com>, <b.a.savage@wildblue.net>
Subject: RE: Pistons
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:03:18 -0400
ok No off the shelf NASCAR style pistons..most are made for short track use.
I don't think there is an engine builder that could have run the pistons we
had for 500 miles WOT. We never cut the piston valve relief's and they were
very thin between there and the ring land between 0.040 and 0.060. And that
piece of piston just plain came off at the 4 1/2 on several pistons on two
separate occasions on the first pass. A/F and timing and cooling were all
correct as well they were data logged. The real problem I see is most
pistons are made for drag racing and short track circle stuff even the
sports cars get a little rest in the corners.. There is no 'breathing' the
engine at the salt if you expect a record. Sure we could have backed the
compression down, fattened the engine up but for what purpose other than to
go slower and make up for a product not designed for the purpose..
Better explanation??
Dave