Dry Sump Musings

To: "Land Speed Digest" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dry Sump Musings
From: "Pile,Chris" <zoombot@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 04:32:09 -0500
    List & John Burk -

    "No air, no bubbles" ? Having watched a great many rebuild thrashes at
Heartland Park and Mile High I can tell you from experience that the oil that
comes out of a nitro motor after a pass looks like a couple gallons of frothy
yellow snot. Perhaps the aim was to eliminate bubbles, but there is definitely
air introduced into the oil - in great quantities.
    My guess is the combination of G-forces forcing the oil backward, plus the
high pressure in the crankcase from supercharger blow-by enables aeration of
the lubricating fluid as the crank and rods twirl madly.

    Chris Pile aka aircap