Re: NonLSR - saving the planet/alternative fuels Part1

To: "Jon.the.Wise" <jon.the.wise@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: NonLSR - saving the planet/alternative fuels Part1
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:54:52 -0400
On Wednesday, July 5, 2006, at 03:08  AM, Jon.the.Wise wrote:

> I've been thinking about all the things that are going on around us,
> and a
> lot of those things bother me. There's tons of debate about whether or
> not
> the greenhouse effect is in fact happening, but most of the facts
> point to
> yes. We're obviously running out of fossil fuels. The US economy is in
> decline. Our forests are getting cut down all over the world every day
> for
> pulp to make paper, etc. And it doesn't seem like anybody cares. That
> is,
> the people that do don't really have the pull to make things happen,
> and the
> people that can make things happen are making too much money ruining
> our
> planet.

A quick comment about forests/paper:  From what I hear, there US forest
is larger and in better condition now than ever.  More trees, better
trees, better management.  Think of trees as a crop that's planted,
nurtured, harvested, replanted.

Sure -- you can point to some ugly clearcuts and to desecration of holy
trees -- but by and large, there are more and better trees than ever.
And papermaking uses less nasty chemicals and makes less pollution than
ever.

The moral of the story -- we won't have to switch to plastic toilet
paper any time soon.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan