RE: JCB , How I See It

To: "John Burk" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: JCB , How I See It
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:20:56 -0500
John;

As an engineer, I'd like to add to your observation about art vs
engineering.

Good engineers have a strong sense of aesthetics just like artists--
there is something compelling about things that "look right" and "feel
right"; a beauty in simplicity and form. Mathematicians and physicists
speak of finding an "elegant" solution to a problem-- it is an
intangible thing.

Good engineering design is like good artistic design-- it is rarely the
product of a committee. The end product of a group usually reflects the
leadership of that group. He puts his imprint on the final result.

I think JCB, Teague, Vesco, and Burkland are certainly good engineers
but they have also created things of beauty. Engineering and art are not
an either/or choice.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ