Spools vs. open diffs (was Handling on Salt)

To: "Jane McMeekin" <mcmeekin@columbus.rr.com>,
Subject: Spools vs. open diffs (was Handling on Salt)
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:48:04 -0700
I've wondered about this too.  Comments I've heard ranged from "90% of
the vehicles out on the salt have spools" (which I doubt), to "don't
ever run a spool on the salt".  I think a moderate limited slip might be
the way to go; a light spring type (read old, factory
spring-and-clutch-type posi) is almost useless for fore-aft traction on
slick surfaces, and a strong spring type is the equivalent of a spool on
a slick surface (at least with front engine, rear wheel drive).  Dunno
how a Detroit locker would behave, or the gear type/Thorsen.  But having
never driven at speed on the salt, I'm willing to be educated.
Benn