Timing

To: list LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 22:13:52 -0600
All of the suggestions about speeding up the timing have merit.  I
$hould $ay all the $ugge$tion$ about $peeding up the timing have merit.
  One factor that has not been directly addressed other than a comment
by Gary is that we are looking at timing speeds that are very fast and
need certifiable accuracy down to at least three decimal places.  (We
have the capability to go to six with the program we use.)   Using
wire, we know the reliability of the system and have NO problems with
the times being accurate.  We would love to be able to go wireless.
The problem as has been mentioned is money.  The system we borrowed for
World of Speed had a value to the company of $5,000.  That was for a
rudimentary system, certainly not the number of lights and other
equipment we would need.  One spin in the right place could take the
bulk of that out.  We can buy a lot of wire for $5,000.  If someone can
suggest a realistic, cost effective, accurate system that won't break
us at the bank or drastically increase entry fees we are all ears.

Until we have some reality to back up those suggestions the best place
to fix the slow lines is with the competitors themselves.  If it takes
requiring that drivers are in the car with the engine running as soon
as that car is next in line it may come to that.  It would be the
easiest and most cost effective and direct way to speed up the runs.

Wes