Re: Dry sump oiling HP gains, the truth.

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <Askotto@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Dry sump oiling HP gains, the truth.
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:33:48 -0700
Keith--
There may be something to this.  If you understand how squeeze film
lubrication works in wrist pin bearing surfaces you'll see why.  Like I said
I'm not an engine designer and I'm 20 years removed from any serious fluid
bearing calculations; so I can't easily run the numbers on this.  Direct oil
feed through the rod like on some diesel engines would solve this
problem......if it's a real problem and not just someone's hypothesis.
Hmmmm.  Deep hole drilling in 4340 chrome moly wouldn't be cheap......

Footnote: Squeeze Film Lubrication - The development of fluid pressure
sufficient to support a load between surfaces thickly coated or flooded with
lubricant and rapidly moving toward each other. Because of viscosity (or
apparent viscosity), the lubricant cannot immediately flow away from the
area of contact. Squeeze-film lubrication occurs between gear teeth and
between wrist pins and their bushings, for example.
http://www.lubrizol.com/GreaseReference/glossary.asp
Ed