Re: Dry sump oiling HP gains, the truth.

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dry sump oiling HP gains, the truth.
From: James Tone <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:20:59 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
>JD-- If  that 5mph increase was just from the crankcase evacuation then I'm
>really  missing something here..........

Since I recieved a few responses I'll go into the whole story, a
little long but bear with me.

Went the Winternationals in '93, I like to walk around back at the
cheep seats and talked to a guy with a C Econo dragster. First time I
ever saw a "smog pump". We talked. They could not run a dry sump. With
an external pump and smog pump the were able to run .60 under the dial
number, without it they couldn't. They had a learning process and used
a Holley jet to control the amount of vacuum because it did suck oil
off of places they didn't want it to..

This got me thinking and I bought 2 pumps for $15 at the LB Hipo swap
meet and converted them to suck...Used JB weld for this. Bought a
Porsche one later and it doesn't need any extra plumbing to work as it
has fittings built in.

I started with the pump running at 1/2 speed and found this too much
and slowed it to 1/3 engine speed at the end. I followed the rpm speed
from the drag guys...remember 1/4 mile is a lot shorter ther 1.3 miles
at El Mirage.. I sucked off the pan and the valve cover at the same
time. After a few runs it was only on the valve cover...Remember I run
a long inline 6. The Stefs system was $400 With a puick? tank I had
$35 in mine.  Don Ferguson actually borrowed the system an ran it on
his lakester a few times.

On Fontanas engine I could not run any belts due to his balencer so I
tried Electric ones but soon gave up...These were off of GM V8's. Joe
used a Barnes oil pump fed off of the cam and a wet sump. We used his
pan for 4 years and the oil pressure was at 30 pounds at the 3 mile so
Patrick always clicked it off. It had a windage tray and louvers but
it just didn't work well. No scraper either. That could have been the
problem, I don't know.

By 2003 I had a special pan built by a retired gentleman who had built
pans for Ed Pink and Keith Black. I gave him a block with the crank
and one rod in it. We discussed everything I wanted to do. From that
he designed and built the pan in his garage. He used a -16 suction fed
to front of the pan which was for Joes motor but not mine. I will come
off the side near the back . The pan has full length side oil catcher
along with a windage tray, trap doors, etc:. I made and used a
scraper; with this comination I had 80# of oil at the 5 mile.

I am actually going to try a 2 stage Barnes oil pump. The 2nd stage
will act as an evacuation system, evacuating to from the valve cover
to a puick tank. I'm trying to cut down on belts. I also run an
alternator. In May we will see how this works. If not, a single stage
will go on with the belt driven smog pump.

I can't tell you how many stages a ProStock car runs, but they use a
Smop pump too.

Does all this work? well it does for me.......And as for Frie...I
don't like the looks of the pan on a 572 either..