Re: Favorite Tools (Vaguely LSR) Valve adjusting

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Favorite Tools (Vaguely LSR) Valve adjusting
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 12:09:28 EST
In a message dated 11/3/2006 9:05:27 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

How many  of you have developed "favorite tools"?

Hi DickJ

I took an old Craftsman ratcheting box wrench and welded it to a 3' piece  of
3/4" pipe. It fits the crank bolt. I use it to turn the engine over when
adjusting the valves between rounds. Works great!

I also have a "handle" for holding the feeler gauges that works awesome. I
took a 1/2" square aluminum bar and cut it to 6". I hack sawed slots in the
ends  about 1" into the bar ends. I drilled and tapped 1/4-20 set screws
through
the  sides of the bar 1/2 way down the slots. I put red and blue shrink tubing
on the  ends to designate "intake and exhaust", hot and cold.

I pull the appropriate feeler gauges out of the pack and insert them in the
slots and secure them with the set screws. I now have a handle with the feeler
 gauges sticking out the ends.

Can't miss intake from exhaust and it's very easy to adjust the valves
without "fighting" the pack of feeler gauges and constantly having to refer to
the
feeler gauge to verify you are using the correct gauge for intake and
exhaust.

You can also make a cheap one from a 1/2" wood dowel by epoxying in the
feeler gauges.

Otto