Re: Battery question - not really LSR...

To: jon@infodestruction.com
Subject: Re: Battery question - not really LSR...
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 11:48:05 EST
In a message dated 11/3/2006 6:54:52 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
jon@infodestruction.com writes:

Okay,  the cell is dead and won't take a charge.  Why is it that
particular  cell that went dead (vs. one of the cells mid-way through
the battery,  maybe)?

Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
Marquette, Michigan
(that's 'way up north)

Hi Jon

Cells sometimes go dead because flakes of lead will flake off the plates  and
pile up in the bottom of the battery, shorting out the plates.

If you have problems with end cells, I suspect the thick cables on trucks
can cause stress at the terminal. The terminal goes through the battery to the
plate tops. They can stress there and crack the battery terminal from the
plates  thereby loosing contact and rendering them less effective.

I blew up a battery wiggling the terminal when the plates were weak at the
terminal. They sparked inside the battery and the hydrogen gas let go blowing
the caps and acid in my face. Circa '65 in a 50 Ford coupe. Live and  learn!!!

I can't think of any electrical issues that would tend to take out the end
terminals. Were the dead cells always next to the positive or negative
terminal?

Everybody knows car battery's efficiency goes down with the temp. That's  why
they won't start in the cold but will when it's warm.

Otto