Re: What's going on and hydralic cam followers.

To: "Bill Bennett" <bennevl@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: Re: What's going on and hydralic cam followers.
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:53:30 -0800
Joe Schubeck's zero clearance hydraulic lifters seem to be somewhat
conventional.  The website doesn't say much about available engine
applications and prices.  He might be a source for short runs of specials
for what are now becoming "antique" engines.
He does have a pretty clever idea with the "Roller-X" lifters.  His web page
text kind of glosses over and somewhat distorts the underlying science of
what the engineers call hydrodynamic bearings. (and elastohydrodynamic
films)  But nevertheless, that in no way indicts the idea and the product.
But I'd say that if you are thinking of using that approach to solve other
mechanical problems in an engine you'd best know what you're doing.  I'd
also guess that if you asked Joe how he machines those pockets and what is
the exact material spec for the lifter body he won't tell you the whole
story.  I wouldn't either if I were planning on them being a profitable
product.
It'll be interesting to see how this lifter design works and what its limits
are in actual racing applications.
Ed Weldon