Re: LSR tires - Hi speed bearings

To: Benn <karhu@california.com>, land Speed List
Subject: Re: LSR tires - Hi speed bearings
From: Karl Payne <karlepayne55@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:55:14 -0800 (PST)
Benn,
We used ceramic rollers, stainless races (440 C). For
retainers, the best were PEEK, Torlon and Vespel.
Both oil mist and grease were used for different
applications  (milling vs. grinding spindles).
Impact resistance is less than bearing steel, but it
never caused a problem for us, even in milling
spindles seeing heavy interrupted cuts.
As far as surface speeds, I don't have the data here,
but at elevated spindle speeds the lower mass of the
rotating elements is your friend.  The lower CTE of
SiC also yields benefits (compared to steel).
Keep in mind this experience is limited to machine
tools and their bearings, so it may be a bit of a
stretch for LSR wheel bearings, but as has been
mentioned, some successful applications are out there.
Hope this helps.

Karl Payne