Open Flame War!

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Open Flame War!
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 17:21:50 -0800
Was just reading RTR's not about heating the house and garage with the
heated rhetoric on the list. I know I have in the past ignited some of
these myself and it always proved to be fruitless. In my storied career
dealing with many people, many in highly technical fields, it all boiled
down to the following: anecdotal argument is worthless. IF a case is to
be made, it needs to be made with data. So when ever I had an
adversarial relationship with some technocrat (or when in Oak rRidge
dealing with Senators) I always mustered the very best data I could lay
my hands on and then went to war. I learned that screaming and shouting
just makes you weary and that it is like arguing with quallity control
folk. Arguing with them is sorta like wrestling a pig in the
mud...pretty soon, you figure out that the pig likes it!  Some of us
thrive on angst and need our daily ration. Some like calm and peaceful
relationships. Not me, because those relationships generally do not
advance anything. But I do like to see data enter the fray because after
that is all we really have. I bet both Dave and Otto can come up with
good data on why one thing works and the other doesn't and generally
that data is something I don't have. So if we are having a cuss fight
over which makes a better destroked 302 then throw the data out on the
table for all of us to see. Hell, I may want to destroke my 302 and run
a different class.. in any case,  bickering is not helpful to any of us,
data is.

my 2 cents..

and probably worth less than half that..

mayf, way off and far (out of it) in pahrump  now 65 years and 1 day...