120 degrees field of view

To: "landspeed@autox.team.net List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 120 degrees field of view
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:57:22 -0500
As I contemplate the whichness of what -- I wonder how long it'll be
until we see a land speed vehicle that substitutes a camera/monitor
system for a windshield.

120 degrees of view -- not a problem with one wide-angle lens, not a
problem with multiple cameras and a wide monitor (to reduce
aberrations due to the wide lens in a one-lens system).

Think of how much aero improvement there could be -- no bubble for
the rider's/driver's head -- just a lens at the front (or wherever)
of the vehicle.  High-clarity transparent material for the lens to
look through is available.

Think how the rider/driver compartment could be designed with safety
in mind.  If the cars/bikes that use periscopes can do it -- I betcha
a tv camera system could provide similar solutions.

Let's hope the vehicle doesn't include a satellite link, though --
just think about it:  Racing down the Salt at 3 bills, passing the
four mile, and ZZZAAAPPP!  No more forward visibility, and instead
here's a re-run of Gilligan's Island.  Gotta be careful so that
doesn't happen. . .

So - will we see electronic windshields soon?  Will we ever see 'em?

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)