Re: Burt Munro

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "Scott Cowle"
Subject: Re: Burt Munro
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:21:31 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
Scott,

I was there in 1962 as were some others on the list. Glen mentioned a book,
One Good Run: The Legend of Burt Munro (Paperback) By Tim Hanna which is a
life history of Burt. A very good supplement to the movie.

As movies go, this is a factual presentation. They crowded several years
happenings into the movie that is presented as 1962. There are a few places
which stray from the facts, but that is how movies are!

#1 - The AMA, not S.C.T.A. Controlled and I believe were the Inspecting
Officials for motorcycles.
#2 - Bonneville has three timed miles not eight or ten.
#3 - Burt set the record in 1962, but not the record that now is in the
books. That was set in 1967. The main reason it is still in the book is that
the class has basically been abandon by present day motorcyclist.
#4 - Burt was not officially timed at over 200 mph. I believe his fastest
recorded speed was 193 mph.

There are other places that may have been embellished a bit, but these are
the ones that stand out in my mind.

According to the book, Burt first came to Bonneville in 1957, the same year
that I first went to Bonneville. I did not know him until he came with the
bike in 1962.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC
www.bryantauto.com