Re: Message word count?

To: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Subject: Re: Message word count?
From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xmission.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 20:51:40 -0600
The listserv software (majordomo) has a message length limit.  It can
be adjusted for each individual mailing list that's run on that
server.  I can't remember what the default message size is, although
I think it's 40 kb.  If a message is larger than that it will not be
sent to list subscribers, but rather to the list administrator who
can decide whether to forward it to the list.  I don't know if that
limit has been changed or not.

There's also a check to see if the repetitive stuff (quoted text) has
been deleted from the new post.  It's referred to as the "death
trailer."  That's why there's a footer that says, "===  Edit your
replies!"  I don't know exactly what is done with posts that aren't
edited.  They may just go to "file 13."

In addition, there's another filter to remove all graphics from the
posts (called demime.)  You can see the results of that in some
messages that have uses "stationery" to include background images,
pictures, graphic "emoticons", etc.  That won't keep the post from
being delivered, from what I can see.

Probably the best way to insure that your posts get sent thru the
listserv to all subscribers is to send text-only messages (no html),
trim the majority of the quoted text before sending and don't include
any binary attachments like pictures or other non-text stuff.

I run several mailing lists on my own server using majordomo and I'm
just making some inferences from what I see as compared to how my
lists are set up (I allow images to be included and set the message
size limit anywhere from 150k to 250k, depending on the list traffic)
and what's on the "posting info" web page:
http://www.team.net/posting.html

I hope that inferential info helps a bit.

Ray the rat
http://www.chevyasylum.com