Ford toploader redo

To: land-speed-digest LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ford toploader redo
From: Jane McMeekin <mcmeekin@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 00:20:15 -0400
List,
      The T-10 in our 240sx went away so we have decided to replace
it with a Ford toploader that has similar dimensions to save a little
money and installation time-I'm cheap and lazy. I know that there are
better choices out there but this is what out team has chosen so I'll
try to make it work. I located what was said to be a good used one
and before going to Maxton this past weekend, I slapped it in the car
untouched to see if it would behave. Of course it refused to shift
into 4th at speed( 9800rpm). Guess I'll take it apart and look for
problems to solve. Any special tools required and can I improvise?
The transmission guy around here said that removing the main shaft
bearing can be challenging but other than that it's similar to other
4-speeds. You Ford guys out there, or for that matter anyone else who
knows more than I do about toploaders (and that would be just about
everyone), please feel free to share your opinions and suggestions.
They will be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks, Don