Re: [Land-speed] Not LSR Question,

To: "'Rich Fox'" <v4gr@rcn.com>, "'Dale Krumheuer'"
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Not LSR Question,
From: <neil@dbelltech.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:03:03 -0700
Rich;

I think you've pointed out one of the problems; a 3/8-16 bolt thread is not
0.375" major diameter. That would be 100% thread and that would be next to
impossible to mate with a nut at maximum spec thread. Most threaded joints
are somewhat less than 100%-- most thread guides give you a drill size for
tapping a particular thread size and different size drills give you a
different % of thread. Same for threading a rod, the diameter of the rod
determines the % of thread. A taper will definitely help get the die started
but make sure it starts straight!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ