Re: [Land-speed] TOE IN

To: joyseydevil@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] TOE IN
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 01:04:20 EDT
In a message dated 7/7/2007 12:49:06 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
joyseydevil@comcast.net writes:

With  Keith's method of setting the toe in the ackerman causes an error of
about  .0004" .
John

Hi John

See!, I told you it was inaccurate! LOL

I spun two of my Bonneville tires mounted on Taylor high soot steel rims.
The tires were shaved and high speed balanced by Nate Jones. There was .60
runout at the side wall of the tire where the string is to be precisely
measured
for toe in. What does this do to your toe measurement?

Also and more importantly, the string method measures toe in at the widest
part of the tire which is the sidewall and isn't where toe in is sup post  to
be measured. Toe in is the difference of the tread centerline comparing the
front of the tire with the rear of the tire AT THE TREAD!!! How does one get
1/8" toe in at the tread when they measure 1/8" at the sidewall??? Obviously
one
 must calculate the difference in diameter at the sidewall and measure a
lesser  distance than 1/8" to arrive at 1/8" at the tread. I didn't hear the
formula for  this calculation in the string method of setting toe in. What is
it
Dave?

If you are using the sidewall for the precise measurement for toe in, why
mess with 4 jack stands and string, just measure the difference between the
front of the tire sidewall and the rear of the tire sidewall???

Also what if the rear end isn't perfectly centered in the chassis? What if
the rear wheels don 't extend exactically the same distance from the centerline
 of the chassis. What if the front axle isn't exactically centered in the
frame?  What if your tires have run out at the sidewall due to manufacturing
variables  of the wheels, tires and how the tires are mounted? What if your
string
is bent?  LOL

Knock yourself out with your jackstands and string, I'll stick to scribing
the centerline of the tires as they roll down the track and simply comparing
the  front and rear tire distances.

Otto