Re: [Land-speed] Driving skills

To: David.Freiburger@primedia.com, drmayf@mayfco.com, kturk@ala.net
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Driving skills
From: Flowbench@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:12:21 EDT
In a message dated 8/25/2007 3:49:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
David.Freiburger@primedia.com writes:

Also, to  Dan's point, the SCTA is the only sanctioning body I know of that
does not  require a physical exam. NHRA requires it for a 9-second license
(130ish  mph) and SCCA demands it for anything other than playing around  at
open-track days. Getting a physical is a PITA. I bet if SCTA required  it,
then
the problem of long lines would be  self-solving.

I've thought about Dan's question all day. As David points out above all
major forms of motorsports require a physical, how bad do you want to race? As
300+ lb guy I understand how hard it is to do a bailout as I certainly  was
not graceful in my exit test but I could get out in less than 20  seconds if I
had to, but as I was driving the car I wondered... could I do  it if I was
breathing smoke, and couldn't see not to mention getting  stopped from 275+
mph?
Land speed racing is supposed to be fun yes but the  safety issues need to be
considered for the good of the sport. I wouldn't want  anyone to not get the
chance to enjoy running at the salt but we must protect  the organization.
Lastly I'm sure it would slim down the troops

Mike LeFevers
Lucky 2 club member