Re: [Land-speed] Trailer tires?

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Trailer tires?
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 11:47:42 -0400
On Sep 1, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Keith Turk wrote:

Okay guys... we've done the cockpit design to death...  now on to how
we get
our junk there...

Who here lost a trailer tire going to or coming from the meets this
year?

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why this is such a dang problem?

The only time we've ever had a tire go away was last year -- our
first year with the latest trailer.  The thing lost air, no puncture,
no overload.  It was p[ointed out to us by another driver as we
(both) got back onto I-80 in Pennsylvania.

It turned out that the previous owner has punctured the tire -- and
"repaired" it by pulling out the valve stem, putting a tube inside
the tubeless tire, and having the tube's stem stick out the valve
stem hole.  Eventually the valve stem wore through and we lost air.
So -- a few miles down the road we stopped for lunch and to have the
tire patched -- and the shop simply plugged the hole -- from the
outside.  We put the tire back into the spare holder in the trailer
and that was that - until this spring, when I was prepping the
trailer for the season.  I checked the air pressure in all four tires
plus the spare -- and all were fine, save for a FLAT spare.

I took the spare to the local guys who took it apart and found the
empty tube flopping around inside.  That's when we came up with the
above scenario.  Sure glad we never needed to use that spare.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)