[Land-speed] drilling tiny holes

To: "'drmayf@mayfco.com'" <drmayf@mayfco.com>,
Subject: [Land-speed] drilling tiny holes
From: Dan Wright <dwright@genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:06:06 -0600
Mayf
The gizmo you want is called a "Sensitive Drill" or a "micro drill adaptor".
This device chucks in your regular drill press, but has a freewheeling ring
(and a small precision drill chuck) that you hold with your hand and that hand
applies the drilling pressure, as the drill press turn it, rather than using
the handle on the drill press.  I have one of these here at the U and I have
successfully drilled holes as small as .010"
My Enco Catalog has one listed as model #290-1291 priced at $98.  Of course
using plenty of the right lube (I recommend Alumicut or Tap Magic for this
operation) and raising the drill to clear the chips VERY frequently are
critical too.  If those little drills get chip bound, they break.

Dan Wright

A GUY WHO DRIVES
A CAR WIDE OPEN
IS NOT THINKIN'