Re: [Land-speed] In the beginning

To: Mike Lackey <mike_lackey@yahoo.com>, Ed Weldon
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] In the beginning
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:07:35 -0700 (PDT)
Mike,

  Sounds like it will be an intersting car.

   The best way to attack the firewall is once the motor is out, pull
everything that you wont use off and out of the firewall, then get to work with
sheet metal, pop rivets, and the welder.  It's a lot easier to fill one too
many holes and realize you have to drill one more hole when the new motor is
in, than it is to get everything in and find that you have a hole way down
behind the bell housing that needs to be filled!

  Also, build (or buy) your scatter shield and do all the hammering on the
tunnel while the motor is out.  It's a real Bit9# to hammer out an additional
half inch of space when the running gear is already bolted back in place.

  Try to get somebody who knows something to fabricate, or help you fabricate
the cage.

  Dick J
  In East Texas

Mike Lackey <mike_lackey@yahoo.com> wrote:
  The car is an '86 Toyota Corolla RWD hatchback (aka AE86 which is the chassic
code Toyota gives it).

I'm planning an engine swap to go after an open record
with an I size engine. So, I'm not planning on huge MPH numbers, but I figure
this is a good way to get started.

I'll have to remember that about the
firewall.

Thanks