Re: [Land-speed] Electrical Question (Sunbeam wiring)

To: <drmayf@mayfco.com>, "'LSR'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Electrical Question (Sunbeam wiring)
From: <neil@dbelltech.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:16:26 -0700
Mayf;

Unless the latest alternator designs have changed an alternator output
current is self- limiting to a degree; the magnetic path in the alternator
saturates at high current and its output current won't go any higher. This
saturation current is not well controlled, however, and I wouldn't depend on
that alone.

Instead of one 100A fuse or circuit breaker I'd recommend placing a number
of smaller breakers in series with all of your major electrical components.
Size the breakers to allow the normal load current. If you have a load of 5A
in a circuit branch, put in a 10A circuit breaker; this will avoid "nuisance
tripping" while still protecting against catastrophic short circuits. The
main purpose of a circuit breaker is to keep the wire from burning up due to
high current.

Now and then you can find small aircraft circuit breakers on eBay. They are
good and allow you to pull out their button to turn off the circuit if you
wish.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ