Re: [Land-speed] Strength Question

To: <bobbyhotrods@comcast.net>, LSR LIST <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Strength Question
From: Doug Anderson <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 20:11:35 +0000
Bobby,  Bobby,... Bobby!

  they stopped racing Offy's because their technology was 1930's state of the
art, and rules were finally written making it more advantageous for other
engines to compete and win against them.

Your 'engine guy' must have forgot how many years Offenhauser's DOMINATED.
What is he on ?  crack ?   LOL!

Answer to Q:    weld it.     what the hell.   why not.

  cheers, "Dirt Track Doug"

        in exile, but, who still saw some real fun indoor short-track M/C
races last night in Middletown NY...

               - on a concrete floor.    Utter Chaos.     our kind of fun.

       FAIR WARNING EVERYBODY:

       Next Saturday night Jan 12, live on HBO Pay-per-View for the very first
time;  the Chili Bowl from Tulsa.
                           5 hours of it.  Over 300 entries.   Check your
listings.  BE there or BE square!

> From: Bobbyhotrods@comcast.net
> To: Land-speed@Autox.team.net
> Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 19:55:09 +0000
> Subject: [Land-speed] Strength Question
>
> My motor man has scared me with stories of what falls off 4 cylinder race
cars due to vibrations.

  "They didn't stop racing Offys because they didn't make enough power, they
stopped because the cars would break before the race ended".

 In that regard I am strengthening everything hanging off my motor. My
question in particular regards the strengthening of a big bracket that holds
my icewater intercooler off the front of the motor. It's held there with stout
3.5" bushings over thru studs screwed into the cast iron head.

 Would it be stronger if the bushings were welded to the bracket, or am I
thinking too much?

        Thanks, BJ in Beantown