[Land-speed] Hood Scoops and Working on Race Cars

To: lsr list autox <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Hood Scoops and Working on Race Cars
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:59:38 -0800 (PST)
Are Mayf and I the only ones working on our cars in the off-season?  Nobody is
saying much this year.  I changed from a 4150 Holley to a Quickfuel Dominator
and had no idea it would domino so many changes.  After making new linkage and
routing new fuel lines, I find that I have to change the hood scoop.  Since I
will no longer have the luxury of a built-in air pan on the carburetor that the
Trans Am shaker provided, I've spent the last week cutting pieces of aluminum
and riveting them together to make what amounts to an oversize paint roller pan
with a hole in the middle.

  So that brings a question to mind.  I've settled on using a Pro-Stock aero
scoop with enough height to put the top of the scoop ten inches above the mouth
of the carburetor.  So, why do LSR racers tend to put the scoop openings facing
rear on door slammers? I understand that there's a big low pressure area behind
the scoop and in front of the windshield, but what's so great about that.  Why
not take advantage of the high pressure built up in the scoop by facing it
forward?  Two hundred MPH formula one cars face forward.  Drag boats face
forward.  Off-shore racers face forward.  Three hundred MPH drag cars face
forward.  But, LSR cars face them backwards?  What's up here?

  DickJ
  In East Texas