Re: [Land-speed] Hydrazine

To: drmayf@mayfco.com
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Hydrazine
From: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@wildblue.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:33:36 -0800
That sure brings back memory's Mayf.
I worked on ATLAS F sites in Kansas and New Mexico in the early '60's.
I heard a lot of scary stuff primarily related to LOX. Most of what was
being done was new to EVERYONE. The learning curve as almost vertical.
I don't think the USAF ever had a successful launch from a real military
silo, but did have some interesting attempts. The problem was the missile
was not locked to the launch elevator. If both boosters didn't have
identical power up curves. tilt - boom.
I was allergic to LOX. That's what I told my boss. We were still learning
how to handle the stuff and some of the construction folks couldn't
understand
why they had to be so picky about keeping the LOX system clean. The idea
of blowing 22,500 Gal. of LO2 into a stainless steel balloon in 90 seconds
always struck me as a little bit crazy.
I got to see a SAC scramble at Walker AFB. Very impressive. The ride in the
last B-52 must have been a lot of fun, if you were drunk.

Cheers,
Bryan

OBTW - A Titan-1 blew a Vandenberg during a test. A buddy of mine lived on
Base and said there were small pieces of "stuff" everywhere.