Re: [Land-speed] Enine Torque Theoretical Question...

To: "joseph lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Enine Torque Theoretical Question...
From: Jonathan <jon.the.wise@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:20:44 -0700
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 1:54 PM, joseph lance <jolylance@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> What would a vortex generator accomplish?
> Might just take energy out of the flow and have a negative effect on VE.
>
> There is always acoustic tuning (of the combined port and stack length) to
> provide a pressure pulse peak at the back side of the intake valve at the
> moment it opens.  But, if I remember some of the math correctly, the
> optimum
> acoustically tuned length decreases as frequency (RPM) increases, so at
> very
> high RPM just the port length alone may be too long for acoustic tuning.

Interestingly enough, mitsubishi has an intake manifold specifically
designed for this purpose. It has 2 sets of intake runners, and at low RPM
it uses a longer runner to increase velocity, and as the flow increases, the
switch is made to the shorter runners. As far as I know it was only ever put
on cars in Japan.

> Wonder what the 18,000 RPM F1 engine designers do about this ?  Probably
> use
> very expensive Computational Fluid Dynamics analysis tools.

Very fancy intakes.

~Jon