Re: [Land-speed] De-salting revisited

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>, "Ed Van Scoy"
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] De-salting revisited
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:35:29 -0700
Interesting idea, Dave........
With a bit of advertising help from BNI and other "connected" folks an
entrepreneurial person might be able to make a few bucks out of a project
like that.  A big SUV or van with a bike rack would likely do at first.  Run
from the pit entrance to the Bend with stops at pre-stage and Road's end.
IMHO a fare of $1.00 for each step (total $8.00 round trip) would be a good
deal.  Operational cost (gas) might be about a break-even with only one
passenger.  It gets profitable with two or more.  Of course that doesn't
figure depreciation and other costs like insurance.  The latter could be an
expensive problem since most insurance policies we have don't cover carrying
passengers for hire.  And the state of Utah or the county might have some
laws that would get in the way (although they may not apply off road like on
the Salt)
Just a thought.....Ed Weldon