Re: [Land-speed] Tire Pressure

To: <BWANA343@aol.com>, <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Tire Pressure
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@RBMotorsports.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 12:39:27 -0400
To add to JD's info, when I ran Michelin and BFG T/A  Z rated tires on the
Merk, they (the Michelin guys) wanted additional pressure due to the weight
of the car.  We were at 200 +- 5 MPH and at 4200 pounds.
I think I remember 60 psig was requested by the tire engineers.

On the topic of GY LSR tire, while researching for the Ford Fusion project,
discussions with Goodyear engineers indicated that tire burst pressures were
very very  high.  We ran 90 psig with a car that weighed 6000 pounds.  While
the LSR 300MPH tire seems overkill for a car that only went 207, the load
carrying capacity, and a huge margin of safety, made a seemingly risky
venture a little safer.

I will run the LSR tire at 90 to 100 psi, depending on the strength of the
wheels, ANOTHER big part of the equation.  I wonder what force will cause
the rim to distort
Since most steel wheels use DOT standard rims, I will try to find design
requirements before making another set of wheels for the liner.  (which i
have to do)