Re: [Land-speed] modified street cars & your old drag strip

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] modified street cars & your old drag strip
From: BWANA343@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 22:01:24 EST
In a message dated 11/4/2008 2:51:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

but I have fond memories of running my dad's Chrysler 300C is Super Stock
Automatic!  Drive to the strip, take off the air cleaners, pop the hub  caps,
unscrew the lakes pipes, and be a big time racer for the day!   LoL

Dick

My dad had a 63 Pontiac Tempest, weird  little compact w/ the  1/2 a 389 4
cyl 195 in. and a one Bbl.
Automatic powerglide, ton of torque but   115hp advertised.   Ran L stock
automatic. We changed the tall Pontiac OEM tires for a much smaller  (Corvair?)
tire and rim, lowered our 1/4 ET into the low 16s and won, a lot, all  over the
North East. Only other mod was removing the air filter.
Had a pal drove his Dad's 64 four door Chevelle, also Powerglide and  the
Chevy 6. Two 6 motors that year, one w/ 120 hp, one w/ 150, I believe. Only
external diff was chrome valve covers and a little chevron for the bigger HP on

the fender. Minimal bod work removed the chevron, junkyard supplied the
stockish  valve cover to run two classes lower.Presto, lotsa wins, and even a
huge
Street Eiminator  Trophy at York in 1965....
York, PA, four cars at a time, yikes !!!
BOBW
5 Travel Deals!