Re: [Land-speed] modified street cars & your old drag strip

To: "Tom Shannon" <saltfevr@q.com>, <BWANA343@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] modified street cars & your old drag strip
From: "joseph lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 20:59:11 -0500
I found out four years ago my favorite drag strip, in Salem, Ohio, from the
1950-60s was still operating and much improved---electricity in the pits !
no longer using the old barn silo as the control tower ! And they had
impressive car building shops on site. I was passing thru the area and
decided to look for it--was there on an off day and the current owner, Dan
Swindell, recognized me as a fellow old-timer, showed me around, and talked
about the early days for a couple of hours. Some of the guys from my early
days, including the impressive Pontiac "Tin Indian", are still running
there.
Their web site is www.quakercityraceway.com

I initially had a hard time finding it again so I stopped in an Advance auto
parts store to
get directions--the young guys there asked me if I was going to run my car.
The look on their faces was priceless when I said "Naw, I did that in 61"

Used to go to a rag-tag strip in Erie, Pa in the 1950s and later we had a
well run strip here at the Hiedelburg Raceway here in Pittsburgh. Regret I
never got to Akron where I could've seen the Arfons brothers run

Lance