[Land-speed] Spins or Slides on the Salt...

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Spins or Slides on the Salt...
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 10:51:12 -0700
Since I started asking the list about suspension parameters related to
directional control of he car, something has gelled in the back of my
head. Probably my brain, lol. But here is the notion that surfaced.

On the salt, there have over the years been lots of spins. Some have
even involved wrecks during the spin.  So, the question is, is the ages
of the drivers in the vehicle known for the time when the spin or slide
occurred? I am beginning to think that there may be a correlation to
some of us older drivers who may has slower reflexes to deal with the
onset of a spin than younger drivers. Is data like that available
anywhere? Neither names nor car/vehicle numbers need be known because it
is a corelation of spin to driver age that would be of interest. Any
ideas where would I start looking for such data?

I am suspecting  that experience also plays a large part. But some of us
go at this later  in life and have a very small experience base as well
as just being old.. Hey, maybe a driving simulator configured with salt
parameters and seat of the pants input would help... Yeah, I can see
that now... a roll cage, a 20 SFI suit, helmet, HANS, Funny car booties,
Seat belts holdin gyou in so you can hardly breathe, etc... same
controls as in a nominal car.... maybe evn a parachute release with the
attendant jerk loads....  For oper cars, a large high velocity wind in
your face  as well. And some heat lamps to simulate the driver being in
the car for at least 20 minutes befor a run... heck, coul dmake the car
parameters an input to match the drivers car!  We could aswk the current
administration for bail out money to make it happen. Or just join ACORN
and get the money that way...

Just some odd thoughts

mayf