[Land-speed] Spins and Things...

To: "'Ron Gibson'" <ronggibson@gmail.com>
Subject: [Land-speed] Spins and Things...
From: "Kirkwood" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 01:34:17 -0700
Thanks Ron, and all others, that responded and pointed me to the correct
thread.

Scrub causes the tire to roll rather than squirm when it is turned. It is
only useful on non-power steering street cars. It serves no benefit on a
straight line, low friction, salt course and distorts the contact patch at
extremely high loads. I don't see how any scrub is beneficial for LSR.  At
top end, when the aero load is the greatest on the front suspension, why
would you want an offset force distorting both the rim and tire? To my
thinking, all forces should be in a straight line directly through the
middle of the tire, rim, and the contact patch. Although, I'm not quite in
Jack's camp yet on caster :-)

From: Ron Gibson

Kirkwood
It's in the  "steering and suspension" forum. Second page, topic, "scrub
radius"