[Land-speed] Steam Car Challenge

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] Steam Car Challenge
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 06:51:20 -0700
I read an short notice about the Brits Steam car challenge arriving at
Edwards AFB.  Couple of things caught my eye...one being that it looks
like someone forgot tot ell them that it gets hot in the desert, lol.
The next is that they have fitted safety equipment required by the SCTA
and that the car will be inspected for safety requirements by the SCTA
and FIA.  I am curious as to why the SCTA would be involved in that. Is
this to be considered a steam record attempt under SCTA auspices and
that any record might be set under the SCTA's authority?  Will any
record set be included in the SCTA records even though this is not an
SCTA venue or event?  I hope not, as that would set up a precedence that
records can be set anywhere instead of the established venues.   I can
see a certificate of speed from the SCTA folk, just like for JJ and his
H2 car,  but not a record even though it mightbe over the existing
record. An FIA record, sure, but not a SCTA record.

Curious

mayf