Re: [Land-speed] canopy

To: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat@pahrump.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] canopy
From: Jon Wennerberg <jonwennerberg@nancyandjon.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:34:20 -0500
On Nov 11, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Skip Higginbotham wrote:

Tom,
I hinge the canopy on my car to one side...like an F-104. Good access
for entry and exit and it holds itself in position. Instruments are
attached and they swing out of the way.
Front hinged canopies would be nearly impossible to open when under
way.....consider an uncontrolled fire and a desire to bail out of the
car.
Hinged to the side would likely jettison the canopy if opened while
under way. As would a rear hinged installation. Not so bad if you
really want out. I agree that slides (like a P-51) can distort and
maybe trap the driver following upset. The Hammond lakester has the
canopy hinged on articulated struts.....pretty neat, I think.
However you do it, I would suggest that an emergency jettison feature
be included.
Skip

Someplace in the photo archive here I've got shots of the Hammond
lakester with the snazzy canopy.  I can't post the photo here -- would
be glad to (try and find it and) send it to you, though.

       Jon Wennerberg
Tall guy with moustache
and a pair of 2 Club hats