Re: [Land-speed] Oiling Questions

To: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@RBMotorsports.com>, <drmayf@mayfco.com>,
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Oiling Questions
From: "ddahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:02:38 -0400
When this came up before I am not sure if I sent a reply to all or not. If I
did please excuse me repeating myself. I think the real key is to have the
supplier help with the sizing of the stages and pump drive speed so that you
are not bypassing a bunch of oil for no good reason. For the most part if
you idle at around 40 psi and have 10 to 12 lbs per thousand rpm(70 to 84
psi at 7000 rpm)  you are generally fine. The better pump builders have a
pretty good clue as to the volume requirements for every popular engine
built and if yours is off the wall it still is similar to something they
know about. They can easily match the size of the pump stage and drive ratio
to match what you want to do. Running too big a pump or too much drive speed
has a lot of draw backs from wasting torque to putting crazy extra loads on
the drive belt, brackets and crank snout. Sometimes it is smarter to the the
guys who build the stuff help rather than add complexity to a basically
simple system to solve a simple problem.
Dave