Re: Chrome Repair Question

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Chrome Repair Question
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@BlazeNet.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 08:18:42 -0400
BobMGT@aol.com wrote:

> The false nose piece on my TD radiator shell has a torn dented spot. I bought
> the reproduction part, but it is a poor fit. Is there a way to repair the
> original? The nose is made of brass, BTW. I'm thinking that some hammering and
> soldering/leading could make the old nose whole again, but I don't know if the
> solder/lead can be chromed. Thank god for the reproduction parts (especially
> when the original's missing), but they're not always perfect.
>
> Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
> EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
> 52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
> 71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336

Bob,

I ran into a similar problem with the reproduction false nose not
fitting. I'm not sure why some of these suppliers even bother selling
junk like that.  As far as repairing your original, it is probably best
left up to your rechromer to do so that all of the materials and the
quality of the repair are compatible with the rechroming process. You
may even want to make your radiator shell/car available to them so that
the fit is good.

Good luck,
Charlie
'52 TD, '60 MGA, '66 MGB