Re: More TD help

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: More TD help
From: Jarl&CaroldeBoer <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 19:07:17 -0700
Ah but Bob, WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!

The original TC/TD thermostat had an outer sleeve that also moved to
block the bypass hose when the thermostat valve opened. The bypass hose
is that smaller diameter hose that runs down at an angle to the steel 3
way connector for the lower hoses. The bypass' function was for the
water flow when the system was cool to be directed to the thermostat
bellows (and not through the radiator) to help the thermostat to open as
early as possible when things warmed up.

With the suggested modification, you lose the blocking function and you
have a constant opening (of about .75 square inches) allowing water to
bypass the radiator AT ALL TIMES. Not a good thing, sort of like having
a pencil sized connection between your veins and arteries just
downstream of your heart - your legs wouldn't like the circulation
problems a bit! You're saving some money at the risk of overheating, and
if you block the bypass, your "new" thermostat will be sloooow to open.
Better to do it right the first time!  Jarl de Boer