Re: More TD help

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>, <deboer@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: More TD help
From: "Carolyn & Bob Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:55:22 -0400
I agree with Jarl on the bypass question, its better to have the original
thermostat which blocks off the bypass when open.
However, in the interests of economy, I have installed many modern 160
degree thermostats into the top of the original housing as described, ie
knock out the old guts and install a new thermostst above the bypass. I
drill two 3/16" holes in the new thermostat flap to ensure some water
circulation during warm-up. The number and size of these holes no doubt
will cause further debate, but at least you get the idea. Then install a
solid gasket or piece of sheet metal across the bypass opening and screw
the elbow back on. Now we have a stock appearance and blocked off the
bypass entirely and all water is forced through the radiator.
Bob Grunau