RE: TD vapor lock

To: walters@mail.softcom.net, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TD vapor lock
From: Lewis Palmer <lpalmer@vanstar.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:20:41 -0800
A couple of tips that works for us here in Minnesnowta. (Yeah, I know it's
not THAT HOT, but it works).

1)      Use metal braided fuel lines.
2)      Make some fiber blocks like on an MGA to insulate the carbs from the
intake manifold. These keep the heat from transferring from the block to the
carbs.
3)      Be sure you are running WITH a thermostat. The thermostat kelps
reduce the flow of hot water back into the engine, and allows it to remain
in the radiator longer.
4)      If you are not using a factory style thrermostat, block, or at least
reduce the diameter of the radiator bypass outlet. This, as designed by the
factory, allows water to bypass the radiator when the engine is cold, so as
to reduce the warm-up time. Since most people no longer have the original
thermostat which automatically blocked this bypass when the engine is warm,
lots of hot water never gets cooled in the radiator.
5)      Use a wetting agent in the coolant. Red Line Water Wetter works, but
I find NAPA's EngineCool or NAPACool to be more effective and less than half
the cost.
6)      Be sure the radiator is clean. Take it to a radiator shop and have
them clean it out and measure the flow.
7)      Be sure there is minimal clearance between the water pump impeller
and the water pump body. Many pumps I've looked at have way too much
clearance and thus do not operate at full efficiency.
8)      Be sure all of the water passages in the block are clear. The one
that many people miss is the passage behind the middle core plug. There is a
cross drilled passage in there which is often blocked and missed during a
rebuild.
9)      Check the timing. If the timing is too far advanced, this can cause
some overheating. This can also be caused by a loose distributor which
advances too quickly.

Several cars with whom I tour in the summer overheated badly last year. In
every case, a combination of #4 and #5 cured the problem. In one case, it
reduced the running temperature over 15 degrees Centigrade.

Keep 'em cool.

Regards,
Lew Palmer