Re: TD vapor lock

To: walters@mail.softcom.net, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TD vapor lock
From: CIAG6@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 12:39:55 EST
In a message dated 2/27/99 7:24:03 PM Mountain Standard Time,
walters@mail.softcom.net writes:

<< Sparky was in a parade today, well half of one anyways.  She vapor
 locked so bad it took a hour to cool off.  Has anyone ever made a heat
 shield for the carbs.?  Would this help my vapor lock?  How about a
 electric fan, would this be work to keep the fuel lines cool.   >>

My TD used to vapor lock badly in hot weather/low speed driving.  One of the
first fixes I tried was a heat shield but it provided little if any
improvement.  The ultimate fix was to install a second electric fuel pump
directly underneath the fuel tank where things are nice and cool.  This pump
provides a pressurized fuel line to the original fuel pump instead of it
having to suck fuel up the long line from the tank.  I have had zero vapor
locking since.  The added fuel pump is essentially unnoticeable unless
somebody lays on the ground and looks up under the rear bumper area.  Be sure
to put a gas filter ahead of the new pump.

Ray G
Colorado