Front Hub Grease Cap

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front Hub Grease Cap
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:46:44 -0500
I have just reinstalled the front brake drums on my 1951 TD, tightened
the nut and put into he cotter pin. The bearings were never removed, as
the purpose of removing the drums was to mearly clean the brake shoes. I
am now at the stage of installing the front hub grease caps.

1) I have heard the terminology  "packing the bearings". Aside from
applying ample grease to the bearings, should I also be filling the
grease cap with grease? Full, half full, how much ???

2) There is a breather hole in the center of the cap. Is this really
necessary? One grease cap had an open breather hole and spewed grease
all over the inside of the wheel hub cap. The other grease cap breather
hole was clogged. Wheel hub cap was, of course, very clean. Nice. I have
heard of some people putting in a grease fitting in this breather hole.
Perhaps that would allow breathing but not release of grease.

Thanks for any suggestions

Stu Keen
Venice, FL