Starter motors & flywheels

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter motors & flywheels
From: "Joan Parker" <mulpark@intekom.co.za>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:01:55 +0200
I have a M41G starter motor (reference number on the casing looks like
255378 with date 9/48) in my 1950 TD. This starter is a large unit which
requires the exhaust front pipe, where it is attached to the manifold, to be
removed, and the steering column has to be disconnected  from the pinion
flange, in order to allow the starter to be removed upwards. It is too large
to remove downwards as it cannot fit between the chassis and the engine
block/sump. I have had to remove it 3 times this year due to an intermittent
fault and have decided that enough is enough!!! I have always been led to
believe that this was a TC starter motor. It has 10 teeth, which means my
flywheel must have 93 teeth. I had a look at a colleagues TC this morning
and it also has a 10 tooth starter motor.
I have decided to replace my starter with another unit which I have had
overhauled - this is a M35G (reference number on casing is 25022) and is a
smaller unit  which according to the reference books, should be a TD
starter. It also has 10 teeth.
The reference books I have consulted quote that the TC has a flywheel with
120 teeth, and starter with 9 teeth, whereas the TDs with the 7< inch clutch
had flywheel with 93 teeth and starter with 10 teeth - is this correct or
not??? If it is correct, how can ne explain that I have a TC starter with 10
teeth????
Another question - I intend to replace my engine with another in the near
future and am at present collecting all the bits and pieces. I have had the
block bored to 1350cc and will fit a Brown & Gammons improved cam and
slightly skim the head, which has already had larger valves and hardened
seats fitted. Will it be OK to use my standard 7< inch clutch???? Or, should
I consider a 8 inch clutch? I have a larger 120 tooth flywheel in my
collection for an 8 inch clutch - but will I need to find a larger clutch
housing or can my present housing be used with some modification??
Joan R. Parker
15 Robinson Avenue
Newlands 7708
Tel/Fax: 021 6718379